Wednesday 23 July 2014

situation - The Strangely Clairvoyant Hobo


One day, I was waiting to get on the subway. I was eating the apple I always have for breakfast, and I decided to sit next to a homeless man on the bench. We saw a rather... rotund man walk by us, to which the hobo muttered, "Pig."


I didn't give it a second thought, except how rude the comment was. Another man walked past, this time tall and in a business suit. As he walked past, the hobo said "Human." and I thought nothing of this remark, other than how obviously he was, in fact, human. I soon after boarded the train for work.


The next day, the hobo was still there. Today, as I watched from a distance, he was at it again. Several people walked past him: a skinny woman, a muscular man, and an old lady, to which he respectively muttered "Soup", "Pork", and "Cookie". Odd, I thought, considering none of them was a cookie. Throughout my day, I couldn't stop thinking about this weird hobo in the subway.


Over the next few days, I kept observing him. He continued this odd behavior. "Bread", "Carrot", "Milk", "Rabbit", and other utterances as people walked past. So the next day, I walked by the homeless man again and he muttered, "Apple."


I finally recognized what this hobo was doing... and after thinking on it for a little bit, remembered something and was stricken with horror.


What was this hobo's ability? What had me so disturbed?



Answer





He was listing what people had eaten (at some point in time) and had said "human" at one point. That meant on the first day he had seen a cannibal.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...