Monday 28 October 2019

electromagnetism - Magnetic Force on a Ferromagenetic Material


I am currently working on a project involving solenoids, and I needed a force(Newtons, not a measure of magnetic field strength) equation. What I came up with after some digging around on the internet, is the equation:


$$F = (NI)\mu_0\frac{\text{Area}}{2g^2}$$


Where $F$ is force (in Newtons), $N$ is the number of turns in the coil, $I$ is the current being passed through the coil, $μ_0$ is the magnetic permeability of vacuum, and $g$ is the gap between the coil and the ferromagnetic material. (Area $A$ and $g$ can be any units, as long as you're consistent with the usage)


I don't know in which plane exactly the area $A$ is taken.


Assuming I have a rod, moving lengthwise into a solenoid, which plane would $A$ represent?


Plane a, plane b, or another plane that I did not consider relevant to this problem?


Rod:



enter image description here


Edit: I was looking for the force an electromagnet would exert on a ferromagnetic material moving into the coil. something like this.


enter image description here


Edit: If the equation I was using before does not work, I don't suppose anyone has the correct one?


Edit: After looking at the equation some more, I realized I had written it wrong. It should be:


$$F = (NI)^2\mu_0\frac{\text{Area}}{2g^2}$$




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...