Tuesday 22 October 2019

PDE from dispersion relation?


Suppose I have knowledge of a system's dispersion relation $f(\omega,k)$. Is it possible to recover the underlying PDE describing the system? Can I simply use the replacement $k=-i\nabla$, $\omega=i\frac{d}{dt}$ to go back?


I came across one source which claimed that the original PDE could only be recovered to a certain extent. An example given was the Dirac and Klein Gordon equations which both satisfy the same dispersion relation. But I didn't quite follow.


Example: I have a polynomial dispersion relation of the form $\omega^2+c^2k^2=1$. Can I automatically say that the underlying PDE is $\frac{d^2u(x,t)}{dt^2}+c^2\nabla^2u(x,t)+u(x,t)=0$? Or is there a subtlety I'm missing?


Thanks




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...