We know the Lagrange equations are: $$\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial q_i}-\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{q_i}}\right)=0.$$ Then, when we add friction in there, we rewrite it in terms of the Rayleigh dissipation function as $$\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial q_i}-\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{q_i}}\right)=\frac{\partial \mathcal{F}}{\partial \dot{q_i}}.$$ However, this is assuming that you can write the friction force as $F_f=-k\dot{q_i}$. How would you do it for a case where the friction force is not proportional to velocity? For example, in the case of a block sliding on a flat surface the friction would be $F_f=-m\ddot{q}$, which is proportional to the acceleration not the velocity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid
What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...
-
A rook stands in the lower left corner of an $m\times n$ chessboard. Alice and Bob alternately move the rook (horizontally or vertically, th...
-
Why can't we use fissions products for electricity production ? As far has I know fissions products from current nuclear power plants cr...
-
I am researching Mercury's orbital precession. I have considered most perturbations and general relativity. I am still not satisfied. I ...
-
Yesterday, I understood what it means to say that the moon is constantly falling (from a lecture by Richard Feynman ). In the picture below ...
-
Recently I was going through "Problems in General physics" by I E Irodov. In Electromagnetics chapter, there is a question how muc...
-
I am having trouble understanding how centripetal force works intuitively. This is my claim. When I have a mass strapped on a string and spi...
-
(The puzzle statement now identifies these numbers as equivalent.) O O ...
No comments:
Post a Comment