Saturday 11 October 2014

kinematics - Orbital velocity, orbital speed, tangential velocity


My mind is going around in circles over this. I know that orbital velocity is what a satellite requires to stay in orbit and I know what the equation is but I thought velocity was a vector not a number so shouldn't it be speed and not velocity.


Then I found some sites that talk about tangential velocity as the orbital velocity. Then I found some sites that use m/s for the velocity and others use radians/s for the velocity.


Could anyone give clarification about orbital velocity, speed and tangential velocity as well as a simple example.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...