Wednesday 4 May 2016

differential geometry - What is the notion of a spatial angle in general relativity?


Is there a notion of spatial angles in general relativity?


Example: The world line of a photon is given by $x^{\mu}(\lambda)$. Suppose it flies into my lab where I have a mirror. I align the mirror in such a way, that I measure a right angle between the incoming and outgoing photon. How can I now calculate the wordlline of the outgoing photon?



Of course I cheated a bit since I just used the old euclidean notion of an angle when I say "I measure a right angle between the incoming and outgoing photon". But I hope that this is allowed locally.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...