Friday 29 March 2019

electromagnetism - Measuring the vacuum permittivity



So I was reading the EF experiment that's used at the MIT to measure the vacuum permittivity and I was thinking about trying it just to see how it works:


http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02x-physics-ii-electricity-magnetism-with-an-experimental-focus-spring-2005/labs/experiment_ef.pdf


I have some questions about it and I hope you can help me with them:




  1. It says "To find the electric force on the foil, assume that the charge density, σ , on the foil, is the same as that of the lower washer". How good that assumption is?




  2. It says "Charges on the foil feel only horizontal forces from other charges on the bottom plate, so the vertical force on the foil is due to the electric field of just the top charge sheet". What horizontal forces are they talking about? I thought both the bottom plate and the upper plate were all exerting a vertical force on the foil and that's why I don't understand why the force is due just to the electric field of the upper plate $(V/2d)$ and not from the one of the two plates $(V/d)$.





  3. Finally, why washers? I think it really doesn't matter if they're just two discs, does it?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...