Monday 17 June 2019

astrophysics - Mass-to-light ratio and rotation curve from brightness profile


This should probably be basic but I've been looking for days and I can't find how to (I'm probably over complicating, but still).


I want to calculate a rotation curve for some spiral galaxies. From what I understand I need to use the brightness profile (which I have) to determine the mass distribution and then use that with Poisson to calculated the $g$. Then I can get the rotation curve.


My problem (for now) is how do I convert the brightness profile to mass-distribution?


the units are $mag/pc^2$ and the $y$-axis scale is 24-->18. it's not a direct relation because the distribution $y$-axis scale goes from small to large (10-->10^2 for example) so I can't just use $100 L/pc^2 = 22.05$ been finding all kind of different equations for different things, just not this.


would appreciate any help.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...