Thursday 20 June 2019

terminology - What does "the ${bf N}$ of a group" mean?


In the context of group theory (in my case, applications to physics), I frequently come across the phrase "the ${\bf N}$ of a group", for example "a ${\bf 24}$ of $\mathrm{SU}(5)$" or "the ${\bf 1}$ of $\mathrm{SU}(5)$" (the integer is usually typeset in bold).


My knowledge of group theory is pretty limited. I know the basics, like what properties constitute a group, and I'm familiar with simple cases that occur in physics (e.g. rotation groups $\mathrm{SO}(2)$, $\mathrm{SO}(3)$, the Lorentz group, $\mathrm{SU}(2)$ with the Pauli matrices as a representation), but not much more. I've got a couple of related questions:



  • What is meant by "${\bf N}$ of a group"?

  • Is is just shorthand for an ${\bf N}$ representation? If so, what exactly is an ${\bf N}$ representation of a given group?

  • How can I work out / write down such a representation concretely, like the Pauli matrices for $\mathrm{SU}(2)$? I'd be grateful for a simple example.


  • What does it mean when something "transforms like the ${\bf N}$"?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...