Friday 15 April 2016

homework and exercises - Which trigonometric ratio should be used to describe simple harmonic motion as a function of time?



An object is undergoing simple harmonic motion with period 1.2s and amplitude 0.6m. At $t=0$, the object is at $x=0$. How far is the object from the equilibrium position when $t=0.480$s?



I used the displacement equation :


$$x(t)=A\cos(\omega t+\phi)$$


and also found out what the angular frequency $\omega$ is (5.2rad/s). Then I found that $\phi$ is 0. I plugged my results in the equation and when I looked at the solution they used the following equation:



$$x(t)=A\sin(\omega t)$$


How was I supposed to know to use this equation instead of the cosine equation that is written on my equation sheet.



Answer



The initial phase $\phi$ should be $-\pi/2$, or in other words, the solution should be $A\sin(\omega t)$ because $\cos(\theta-\pi/2)=\sin(\theta)$. How did you find that $\phi$ is zero? You're supposed to use the fact that $x$ is zero when $t$ is zero. Which is what let's you set $\phi $ to $-\pi/2$ (modulo $\pi$).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...