Wednesday 19 October 2016

physical chemistry - Explaining valence with quantum mechanics


Can anyone give me a quantum mechanical explanation of the theory of valence? (i.e. why atoms bond just enough to have a complete orbital)



EDIT: To clarify, I already have an idea of why atoms bond, and the molecular orbit makes sense to me. The problem is that the valence bond theory provides a simple and fairly accurate description for when a molecule is stable. To make this more concrete: why is CH_4 more stable than CH_3 or CH_5. Looking up the former on wikipedia, I see a better way of phrasing the question might be: why are free radicals reactive? (Should I change the title?)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...