Thursday 22 December 2016

homework and exercises - Kinetic energy in different frames




I have an electric bike moved by a battery. I am at a train station with two friends. A flat train car platform passes by at $1 m/s$. The friend #1 jumps on it while the friend #2 remains at the station. I turn on my bike, accelerate to $1 m/s$ and ride onto the platform to catch up with the friend #1. My total weight is $100 kg$. Thus the energy I have taken from the battery is:


$E_1 = \frac{mv^2}{2} = \frac{100\cdot1^2}{2}=50 j$


Meanwhile my motor is still running and I accelerate again to $1 m/s$ relative to the platform or $2 m/s$ relative to the station. The friend #1 on the platform observes me gaining $1 m/s$ relative to him that corresponds to taking the energy of another $50 j$ from the battery for the total of:


$E_2 = 50 + 50 = 100j$.


However, the friend #2 at the station sees me accelerating to $2 m/s$ relative to him that corresponds to the total energy of:


$E_3 = \frac{100\cdot2^2}{2}=200 j$


I also have a gauge showing the total energy taken from the battery. The reading on the gauge does not depend on the frame of reference. Obviously, the gauge will show $100$ joules, but how can this number be reconciled with the observation of the friend #2? Where does the extra energy he sees come from?


enter image description here



Answer



The additional energy is provided by the train, which must do work to maintain 1m/s while you push against it to accelerate. Your tires apply a force to the train, not the ground.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...