Friday 25 January 2019

homework and exercises - Find the Unit Vector of a Three Dimensional Vector


How can I find the unit vector of a three dimensional vector? For example, I have a problem that I am working on that tells me that I have a vector $\hat{r}$ that is a unit vector, and I am told to prove this fact:



$\hat{r} = \frac{2}{3}\hat{i} - \frac{1}{3}\hat{j} - \frac{2}{3}\hat{k}$



I know that with a two-dimension unit vector that you can split it up into components, treat it as a right-triangle, and find the hypotenuse. Following that idea, I tried something like this, where I found the magnitude of the vectors $\hat{i}$ and $\hat{j}$, then using that vector, found the magnitude between ${\hat{v}}_{ij}$ and $\hat{k}$:



$\left|\hat{r}\right| = \sqrt{\sqrt{{\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)}^{2} + {\left(\frac{-1}{3}\right)}^{2}} + {\left(\frac{-2}{3}\right)}^{2}}$



However, this does not prove that I was working with a unit vector, as the answer did not evaluate to one. How can I find the unit vector of a three-dimensional vector?



Thank you for your time.



Answer



Since this is homework, we are not supposed to give you the answer. But one mistake you made is in your formula for the magnitude of $r$ - the inner square root needed to be squared. So the length of $r$ is simply the square root of the sum of the squares of the $i$, $j$ and $k$ lengths.


Good luck...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...