Wednesday 16 January 2019

nuclear physics - What is the most recent date that can be measured using carbon-14 dating?


With carbon-14 dating, what is the most recent date which can be accurately determined, and why?


Is there an accepted time range, within which, accurate results can be attained using carbon-14 dating? I understand that the method can provide dating up to ca. 50,000 years into the past, but I'm interested in the other end of the time range: is there a point in time when younger (recent) specimens can no longer be dated with accepted accuracy?


I have read sources that place this limit anywhere between 50 and 500 years. I have read that this difficulty in the young-sample range is due to the fact that not enough material has been depleted to calculate accurately. I also understand the concerns with carbon-14 dating regarding the impact of fossil fuels / atomic activity in recent dating attempts. I also am aware of new carbon contamination when sampling.



I am a paintings conservator and have been requested to examine a panel painting from approximately 1550 A.D., and I have dendrochronological evidence which supports this date. Would a carbon-14 analysis be of equal accuracy in this case?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...