Sunday 27 January 2019

homework and exercises - Force applied off center on an object


Assume there is a rigid body in deep space with mass $m$ and moment of inertia $I$. A force that varies with time, $F(t)$, is applied to the body off-center at a distance $r$ from its center of mass. How do I calculate the instantaneous acceleration, rotational acceleration, and trajectory of this object, assuming it starts from rest?



Answer



If the position of the center of mass is $\vec{r}_C$ and the location of the force application $\vec{r}_A$ then the Euler-Newton equations of motion for rigid body are:


$$ \vec{F} = m\,\vec{a}_C \\ (\vec{r}_A-\vec{r}_C)\times \vec{F} = I_C \vec{\alpha} + \vec{\omega}\times I_C \vec{\omega} $$


with c.g. velocity $\vec{v}_C = \dot{\vec{r}_C}$, c.m. acceleration $\vec{a}_C = \ddot{\vec{r}_C}$, $I_C$ the moment of inertia tensor about the c.m.



In 2D when $(x,y)$ is the location of the c.m. Point C this becomes


$$ \begin{vmatrix} F_x \\ F_y \\ 0 \end{vmatrix} = m \begin{vmatrix} \ddot{x} \\ \ddot{y} \\ 0 \end{vmatrix} \\ \begin{vmatrix} c_x \cos\theta \\ c_y \sin\theta \\ 0 \end{vmatrix} \times \begin{vmatrix} F_x \\ F_y \\ 0 \end{vmatrix} = \begin{vmatrix} I_x & &\\& I_y & \\ & & I_z \end{vmatrix} \begin{vmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ \ddot{\theta} \end{vmatrix} + \begin{vmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{vmatrix} $$


where $(c_x,c_y)$ is the position of point A from the c.m. when the body orientation is $\theta=0$ (initially).


By component then the equations are $$ \ddot{x} = F_x/m \\ \ddot{y} = F_y/m \\ \ddot{\theta} = \frac{-c_y \sin\theta F_x + c_x \cos\theta F_y}{I} $$


If the force is rotating with the body, and initially located at $(cx,0)$ pointing in the +y direction then


$$ \ddot{\theta} = \frac{c_x F_y}{I} $$


No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...