Monday 3 June 2019

cosmology - Was there a first moment in time?


Disclaimer. I am a mathematician, not a physicist. The extent of my physics training is a couple of high school courses. So, you may have to be very patient with me in understanding your answer(s)/comment(s).


Question. Was there a first moment in time? So, for instance, is the past best represented by an open interval $(t_0,t_p)$ (where $t_0$ denotes the would-be first moment in time, and $t_p$ denotes the present moment in time) or a half-open inteval $[t_0,t_p)$? Or something else?


Discussion. I am guessing that the answer to this question depends on what cosmological model is in play. The problem is, I don't know the first thing about which cosmological models there are to choose from, whether certain models are more likely to be "true" (for lack of a better word) than other models, etc. In fact, I only have a very rough idea of what a cosmological model is!



If the cosmological model of choice excludes a first moment in time, can it be extended easily to include one? (Maybe that question is ill-formed, in which case I apologize.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...