Tuesday 16 September 2014

antimatter - Feynman-Stueckelberg interpretation


My question is related to the interpretation of antiparticles. According to the so called Feynman-Stueckelberg interpretation a negative energy solution of the Dirac equation corresponds to a positron which then runs apparently backwards in time. But if I consider the vertex of a electron-positron annihilation I have at this vertex an incoming electron with positive energy which under "emission" of a virtual photon turns into a (the vertex) leaving positron which runs backwards in time. But this way several conservation laws seem to be violated.


I would in fact expect the positron not to leave the vertex but entering the vertex. In that case the conservation laws would be fulfilled.


However, for me a solution of ~exp(iEt) is either a negative energy electron running forwards in time or a positive energy positron running backwards in time. But I cannot fit that with the electron-positron annihilation (see above). I would be grateful if somebody could dissipate by confusion.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...