Tuesday 27 October 2015

logical deduction - House Number Mastermind


I was having a house-leaving party at my old house, and challenged four of my friends to guess the number of the new address, which had three digits.


The responses I got were 280, 376, 304, and 370.


I was amused, as each one of them got one digit correctly and in its right place, while the other two digits of each guess did not match in any place.


What's my house number?



Answer




274




376 and 370 must share one number and not another.


based on possibilities of first number and can't be three or the last number would be repeated twice in one of them.


seeing as 3 isn't the first number 7 must be the second number because of 376 and 370.


can't be 6 or 0 for the third number or else there would be two numbers with 2 correct guesses so that leaves 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...