Thursday 22 October 2015

newtonian mechanics - How to calculate the buoyant force on a balloon at different altitudes



For a project into balloon simulation I'd like to know how the force on a balloon changes with altitude:


I know that the Buoyant force on a balloon is:


$F = (\rho_{air} - \rho_{helium})gV$


Using changing air density from the international standard atmosphere and changes in gravitational acceleration I can calculate the buoyant force and add this to the (negative) force of gravity mg.


However I know that it isn't this simple, the balloon changes volume with altitude as the air pressure outside the balloon changes.


I'd like to know how the balloon inflates - this would be a great help!



I think it may be something to do with ideal gas laws - I can calculate air temperature and pressure from the international standard atmosphere but do I use pressure as the air pressure? - or air pressure minus balloon pressure?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...