Saturday 21 November 2015

electricity - Need an intermediate resistivity part/material


I need a part or material for a planned experiment (the experiment is similar to those described in my articles http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.0066 and http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.1626 ). The problem is that the required resistivity (about 0.3 Ohm-cm or of the same order of magnitude) is much higher than that of metals and much lower than that of dielectrics. Eventually, I need a long cylindrical part, about 1.5 mm diameter and about 1 m length. So far I have considered semiconductors, conducting polymers, and absorbing materials of http://www.eccosorb.com/Collateral/Documents/English-US/Electrical%20Parameters/ls%20parameters.pdf . The latter materials seem good, but they are essentially foams, and the required part cannot be machined from them. As for semiconductors and conductive polymers, I don't have a clear idea how to get (to order) a material with the required resistivity and how to make (to order) the required part. I need the above resistivity at a frequency of about 25 GHz, so, in principle, I could use a nonconductive, but absorbing (at the required frequency) material, but I would prefer a material that is conducting for direct current as well, to be able to measure the absorbed power. I would prefer a material with decent mechanical properties, so that I could, e.g., strain (tighten) the cylindrical part.


Any advice?


EDIT (02/02/2014): I have finally obtained the required parts. They are made of doped polysilicon. I am grateful for the answers.



Answer



This is a good challenge!


Here is maybe a solution: Ordering a 1 meter long Si rod with the correct doping level. It seems they are already able to make 2 mm diameter rods of 1 meter long out of pure silicon. (http://www.goodfellow.com/catalogue/GFCat4J.php?ewd_token=5IQzQHXALuzqcQFMm0Hg7C5opN6zxs&n=O76P2NzWunxfCV3bOzRYzd6IvAfLFt)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...