Sunday 29 November 2015

quantum mechanics - Experimentally, what categorizes a measurement as corresponding to a certain observable?


I want to write a computer program.


The input to the program is:




  1. A description of an experimental device (for instance a Stern-Gerlach apparatus, or a laser and a polarizer)

  2. What the experimenter will do with the device (e.g., fire an electron, fire a photon)


And the output of the program is a sequence of yes/no answers to the following questions:



  1. Does this experiment correspond to a position measurement?

  2. Does this experiment correspond to a momentum measurement?

  3. Does this experiment correspond to an angular momentum measurement?

  4. Does this experiment correspond to a spin measurement?


  5. Does this experiment correspond to an energy measurement?


What I want to know is:


What is the algorithm the program uses to determine the result "yes" or "no" to each of the above questions?


Background


Why am I asking such a weird question? Because I've never gotten a clear understandable answer on what constitutes a measurement type. Note, I am not asking what constitutes a measurement; I am asking what constitutes the type of measurement. The answers I get are always hand-wavy and subjective. But it can't possibly be subjective, because otherwise the experimental results would not match those computed with quantum mechanics, e.g., if I compute the eigenvalues of the wrong observable, the values aren't going to match up with those obtained from experiment.


So to give you a concrete example, suppose I shoot an electron at a flat board. I can measure the board's recoil to get the momentum of the electron, or I can measure the location the electron struck the board to get its position. But that's a hand-wavy explanation! I just "decided" that I'd call the first experiment a momentum measurement because it sounds like one, and similarly I simply decided to call the other one a position measurement. I want an exact procedure to categorize whether it is a position-determining or momentum-determining experiment.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...