Saturday 3 December 2016

general relativity - Why do galaxies "disappear?"


So, this bit of information confused me lately. Before, I figured galaxies were no longer visible by us because their luminosity decreased in an inverse square manner. However, while watching a movie I stumbled upon the concept of how galaxies disappeared from our sight because the space which both galaxies occupy is moving away from each other faster than the speed of light.


I understand nothing can move faster than the speed of light, but the argument here, I guess, is that space itself can move, as a consequence of the Big Bang, faster than the speed of light. Is this correct? If not, how do galaxies disappear?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...