Thursday 15 March 2018

Lorentz transformations of fields evaluated at a point


I'm am sure that I must be missing something very simple, so apologies in advance.



Considering the Lorentz transformation $\Lambda$ of a spinor fields, for the plane-wave solution $u(p)$, I cannot for the life of me agree why


(1) $$ u^s(\Lambda^{-1} {p'}) = \Lambda_{\frac{1}{2}} u^s(p') $$


where


$$ p' = \Lambda p $$


This is in Peskin & Schroeder, pg 59, just above equation (3.110).


I have tried to get this a dozen times, to no avail.


I know that, for a scalar field, under a Lorentz transformation $\Lambda$ we get, as per Peskin & Schroeder, pg 36, equation (3.2)


$$ \phi(x) \rightarrow \Lambda \phi(x) = \phi'(x) = \phi(\Lambda^{-1} x) $$


This makes sense to me as "the transformed field at the transformed point in spacetime should be the same as the un-transformed field at the untransformed-transformed point in spacetime".


So trying to do that with inverse transformations, now using $\Lambda_{\frac{1}{2}}$ for a spinor plane-wave solution, I get



$$ \Lambda u(p) = u (\Lambda^{-1} p) $$


and applying an inverse transformation would give


$$ \Lambda^{-1} \Lambda u(p) = \Lambda^{-1} u (\Lambda^{-1} p) $$


or


$$ u(\Lambda^{-1} \Lambda p) = u' (\Lambda^{-1} p) $$


so


$$ u(\Lambda^{-1} p') = u( [\Lambda^{-1}]^{-1} \Lambda^{-1} p) $$


whence


$$ u(\Lambda^{-1} p') = u(p) $$


that is,



$$ u(p) = u(p) $$


So it's consistent alright, but not of much use!


Can anyone show me what I'm missing to derive equation (1) above. Thank you in advance!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...