Sunday 6 January 2019

conventions - Sign of the vector (especially $g$) while calculating


I'm a high school student and I'm studying Newton's second Law. While my teacher is calculating a net force of an object he always treat all vectors as positive numbers. I think what he meant is the magnitude of the vector which is always positive, but the problem is that he didn't use the magnitude symbol, for example like $||Fg||$. He said the acceleration due to gravity , g, is positive, but shouldn't it be negative since it is pointing down. This also cause a problem: every time when I calculate the net force I can't add all forces together, instead I need to choose to use minus sign when the vector is pointing down. So in general which way is correct?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...