Friday 12 September 2014

homework and exercises - Equation of motion for a falling rod (with one end touching a frictionless surface)



I have a quick question about the equation of motion for a falling rod (with one end touching a frictionless surface). The end touching the surface is not fixed. I am given the moment of inertia about the center of mass. Only gravity is acting on the rod. The rod begins at an angle $\theta$ above the ground.


I know that the rod will rotate about the center of mass, and the point touching the frictionless surface will slide along the surface, but I am having trouble calculating the torque. For reference, the left end of the rod is touching the surface, and the right end is in air. I have calculated the torque, $\tau$, from the right moment arm as $\tau=\frac{mg\cos{\theta}}{4I_G}$ because the right half of the rod contains half of the mass and half of the length. I don't really understand how to calculate the total net torque, though.


Any hints would be appreciated.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...