Wednesday 7 October 2015

gravity - Perihelion Advance in curve space


I've been doing some work that involves particle's motion subjected to central forces. I was trying to compute the perihelion advance of the particle's path. For that I've been following this reference, where found the equation of motion, I considered a small perturbation to circular orbit. The problem was that instead of the typical harmonic oscillator ODE I ended up with an equation of the form: $$\ddot{x}+A~\dot{x}^2 + B~x=0,$$ where $A$ and $B$ are constants. Can we retrieve any information from this equation without actually solving it, I mean, in the sense that we can find an expression for the apsidal angle if the equation was of an harmonic oscillator?


Note: In case someone is wondering why the appearance of the $\dot{x}^2$ term, it is because the considered space is curved.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...