Tuesday 13 October 2015

optics - Does the order in which light comes into a rectangular prism affect its dispersion?


I read about how when light comes out of a rectangular prism, there are violet and red fringes on either side of the light spectrum. The website didn't give the specifics in this subject, so I am not sure about how it exactly works.


My "order" I mean if violet or red is on top of the light spectrum coming in.


I pictured both situation and found out no matter which order, light always comes out the same.


situation1 If purple/violet is on top: enter image description here


I am assuming purple will bend more than red, so the order reverses.


situation2 if red is on top: enter image description here



Purple naturally bends more, but this time, the order isn't reversed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...