Saturday 20 December 2014

electromagnetism - Computing energy loss for a hysteresis curve



enter image description here


Let a hysteresis loop be as shown in the figure, with $B_0$ the applied external field due to a current $I$ in a toroid, and $B_M$ the additional field due to the ferromagnetic material. Hence we have that \begin{align*} \mathbf{B} = \mathbf{B}_0 + \mathbf{B}_M, \end{align*} where $B$ is the magnitude of the total field.


I got a couple questions now. My textbook says that in one cycle, a lot of energy is transformed to thermal energy (friction) due to the realigning of the magnetic domains. Do they mean magnetic potential energy due to the extern field ($B_0$)? Also, if some energy is transformed to thermal energy, where does the rest go?


Suppose I want to calculate the work done on one cycle, which is (I figure) just the area under the loop. How should I go about doing this? I would just do \begin{align*} W_h = V \oint B_0 \ dB_M, \end{align*} where $V$ is the volume of the ferromagnetic material enclosed. I'm not sure if this is correct though, nor what my integration bounds should be.


Any clarification would be helpful.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...