The First Law can be stated as $\Delta U=Q-W$, where $W$ is the work done by the system. My question is what kind of work $W$ includes. $W$ certainly includes $PV$ work, i.e. expansion and compression of gas. Does it also include work on the system as a whole? For example, if the system is a billiard ball on a frictionless surface, and I push the billiard ball, doing positive work on it, increasing the kinetic energy of the ball. However, both $Q$ and $\Delta U$ are 0, so it seems this kind of work (me pushing the entire system) is not included in $W$. Am I correct? If so, what references spells this out? I was not able to find any references that specify the exclusion of this type of work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid
What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...
-
A rook stands in the lower left corner of an $m\times n$ chessboard. Alice and Bob alternately move the rook (horizontally or vertically, th...
-
Why can't we use fissions products for electricity production ? As far has I know fissions products from current nuclear power plants cr...
-
I am researching Mercury's orbital precession. I have considered most perturbations and general relativity. I am still not satisfied. I ...
-
Yesterday, I understood what it means to say that the moon is constantly falling (from a lecture by Richard Feynman ). In the picture below ...
-
Recently I was going through "Problems in General physics" by I E Irodov. In Electromagnetics chapter, there is a question how muc...
-
I am having trouble understanding how centripetal force works intuitively. This is my claim. When I have a mass strapped on a string and spi...
-
(The puzzle statement now identifies these numbers as equivalent.) O O ...
No comments:
Post a Comment