Friday 9 September 2016

Work in the First Law of Thermodynamics


The First Law can be stated as $\Delta U=Q-W$, where $W$ is the work done by the system. My question is what kind of work $W$ includes. $W$ certainly includes $PV$ work, i.e. expansion and compression of gas. Does it also include work on the system as a whole? For example, if the system is a billiard ball on a frictionless surface, and I push the billiard ball, doing positive work on it, increasing the kinetic energy of the ball. However, both $Q$ and $\Delta U$ are 0, so it seems this kind of work (me pushing the entire system) is not included in $W$. Am I correct? If so, what references spells this out? I was not able to find any references that specify the exclusion of this type of work.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...