Wednesday 3 July 2019

reflection - Laser, wire, and a circle of light



So, when I point a laser at a piece of wire (pointed at a specific angle), a circle of light appears on a wall behind it (see image below). I am trying to see why this happens and if there are any readings on this. Could anyone give some tips on what I should search for or any references?


enter image description here
(screenshot from this youtube video)


So this is a problem for a physics tournament, but I haven't tried it myself yet. However I have found a video depicting what I mean.



Answer



So I did it myself and figured it out. It's just really simple reflection.


enter image description here


Basically the wire acts as a mirror, albeit a curved one. Because the light from a laser is straight, we won't have messy light. When a laser reflects off of a flat surface, it keeps going straight. However when it reflects off a small curved surface (i.e a wire), the laser rays all go different ways, and create a circle of light.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...