Monday 10 August 2015

newtonian mechanics - Two solids linked by a rope not under tension, I apply a force on them. Is Newton law valid applied on the ensemble?


Let's take two solids of mass $M_1$ and $M_2$.


I link them by a cable that is not under tension initially. The mass of the rope is negligible.


I pull the solid $M_2$ with a force $F$.


Is the law of Newton $\sum F = m a$ valid on the ensemble ($M_1$,$M_2$) ?


The thing that is confusing me is only because the rope is not under tension so basically when I will start pulling, only $M_2$ will move at the beginning.


But as we talk about center of inertia when we use Newton law, maybe the center of inertia of both solid will still follow the motion predicted by Newton law, I just would like to check.



[edit] : actually it is not even clear for me where would be the center of inertia in this ensemble as the two solids with the rope don't really make a "solid" ensemble.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...