Monday 24 August 2015

mathematics - Important days in history... and to come!


The other day I decided I wanted to come up with another simple puzzle before releasing another toughy on puzzling.SE. I came across an interesting series of dates that I wanted to share and see if people could figure out what the next date in the series was.


The series of dates is:


     March 30, 1973

April 1, 1975
June 28, 1978
September 27, 1983
March 24, 1992
December 18, 2005
............., .....

What is the next date in the series? Explain.



Answer



I would guess that the answer is




March 10, 2028



Argument:



Whenever I look at four consecutive dates $d_1,d_2,d_3,d_4$ in this sequence, then the third date is exactly in the middle between the first date and the fourth date; mathematically, this means $d_3=(d_1+d_4)/2$.

(Thanks to Z Dailey): The Unix timestamps of these dates are the Fibonacci numbers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...