Sunday 31 July 2016

Can I swap quantum mechanical ground state for some classical trajectory distribution and have it sit still after the swap?


Suppose that I have a single massive quantum mechanical particle in $d$ dimensions ($1\leq d\leq3$), under the action of a well-behaved potential $V(\mathbf r)$, and that I let it settle on the ground state $|\psi_0⟩$ of its hamiltonian, $$ \left[\frac{\mathbf p^2}{2m}+V(\mathbf r)\right]\left|\psi_0\right> = E_0\left|\psi_0\right>. $$ Suppose, because I'm a hater of QM or whatever reason, that I want to model this state of the system as an ensemble of classical trajectories. (More realistically, I might be interested in doing classical trajectory Monte Carlo (CTMC) calculations of some interaction that is hard to model using the full TDSE.) As such, I want to find a classical equivalent to my ground state that I can then use as starting condition for whatever simulation I want to do.


This wavefunction can be examined in phase space in a number of ways, such as using Wigner functions or the Sudarshan $P$ and Husimi $Q$ representations, all of which offer different views into the state and different quasi-classical ways to understand it. My precise question is as follows:



  • Is there a way to translate wavefunctions $|\psi⟩$ of a quantum system into probability distributions $\rho(\mathbf r,\mathbf p)$ over classical phase space, in such a way that the eigenstates of a given quantum hamiltonian will be stationary states of the Liouville equation for the corresponding classical system?



To be fully explicit, I want a map such that produces a classical density with the correct position and momentum distributions, i.e. $\int \rho(\mathbf r,\mathbf p)\mathrm d\mathbf p = |⟨\mathbf r|\psi⟩|^2$ and $\int \rho(\mathbf r,\mathbf p)\mathrm d\mathbf r = |⟨\mathbf p|\psi⟩|^2$, and ideally also for all possible quadratures at any angle. The classical $\rho(\mathbf r,\mathbf p)$ should remain stationary under Liouville's equation with a classical hamiltonian $H(\mathbf r,\mathbf p)$ that connects to the quantum hamiltonian via a classical limit or canonical quantization, in the general case, but I'm happy to restrict this to hamiltonians of the form $H(\mathbf r,\mathbf p) = \frac{\mathbf p^2}{2m}+V(\mathbf r)$, in which the correspondence is obvious.


More intuitively, I know that after the translation I will get a counterfeit $\rho( \mathbf r, \mathbf p)$ that doesn't actually describe what's going on, but at least I would like it to sit still once I let classical mechanics take over.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...