Thursday 14 July 2016

geometry - Nanotube chiral angle as a function of $n$ and $m$


I'm looking into nanotubes and I thought I'd assure myself that the basic geometry equations are indeed correct. No problems for the radius, I quickly found the known formula:


$$R = \sqrt{3(n^2+m^2+nm)}\frac{d_{CC}}{2\pi}$$



if $d_{CC}$ is the carbon bond length.


For the chiral angle, however, the equation should be


$$\tan{\theta} = \frac{m\sqrt{3}}{2n+m}$$


but I got


$$\tan{\theta} = \frac{m\sqrt{3}}{2n-m},$$


a sign difference. I thought I'd look for the mistake and quickly correct it, but I cannot for the life of me find it. I'll show my derivation below. The starting point is of course the nanotube structure:


Nanotube structure


I'll simplify this picture to make it more clear what I did:


Simplified picture


From the above picture, it's easy to see that



$$\sin{\theta} = \frac{h}{na_1}$$


and


$$\sin{\left(120^{\circ} - \theta\right)} = \frac{h}{ma_2}.$$


This can be rewritten using the trigonometric identity


$$\sin{\left(\alpha-\beta\right)} = \sin{\alpha}\cos{\beta} - \cos{\alpha}\sin{\beta}$$


where $\alpha = 120^{\circ}$ and $\beta = \theta$, giving rise to


$$\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cos{\theta} + \frac{1}{2}\sin{\theta} = \frac{h}{ma_2}.$$


Now, using the fact that $a_1 = a_2 (=\sqrt{3}d_{CC})$, we find the following equations:


$$\left\{\begin{array}{rcl}n\sin{\theta} & = & \frac{h}{a_1}\\ m\left[\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cos{\theta} + \frac{1}{2}\sin{\theta}\right] & = & \frac{h}{a_1}\end{array}\right.$$


which obviously allow for combination:



$$\begin{eqnarray} \frac{n}{m}\sin{\theta} & = & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cos{\theta} + \frac{1}{2}\sin{\theta} \\ \left(\frac{n}{m}-\frac{1}{2}\right)\sin{\theta} & = & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cos{\theta} \\ \frac{2n-m}{2m}\sin{\theta} & = & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cos{\theta} \\ \tan{\theta} & = & \frac{m\sqrt{3}}{2n-m}. \end{eqnarray}$$


This differs from the known expression in that it has a minus sign in front of $m$ in the denominator, but I fail to see my mistake. It could be really silly and I'm just being blind... Thanks for taking a look at it.



Answer



The angle at $C$ is not $120^\circ-\theta$, it's $180^\circ-(120^\circ+\theta)=60^\circ-\theta$. The rest of the algebra is right, and you can quickly see where the sign comes from.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...