Sunday 26 April 2020

general relativity - Why does pressure act as a source for the gravitational field?


I'm asking for a qualitative explanation if there is one.



My own answer doesn't work. I would have guessed it's because when a gas has pressure the kinetic energy adds to the rest mass of a given quantity of the gas, so the pressure contribution would be equal to whatever energy density it contributes. But that can't be right. If one had an ideal monatomic gas where the atoms are randomly moving around at non-relativistic speeds, the kinetic energy per volume of the atoms is 1.5 times greater than the pressure, but in chapter 4 of Schutz's book "A First Course in General Relativity" (or any other GR text) he says that rho plus pressure (in units where c=1) plays the role of inertial mass density. In my incorrect view the equation would be rho plus 1.5 pressure


Why is my answer wrong? I'm guessing part of the problem is that the kinetic energy of the atoms is already part of the mass density term--that is, a hot gas of one mole of helium atoms would have a higher mass than a cold gas composed of helium. Then the pressure is tacked onto that, which seems like counting it twice to me, but clearly I'm confused.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...