Friday 16 January 2015

homework and exercises - Would this box on the floor rotate based on friction?


There is a floor that friction is proportional to its velocity (like $F=-kv$) and there is a box with its width as $l$ and its height as $h$. (you may assume that $l$ is longer than $h$). It is on the floor with the initial velocity $v$. Then, if $v$ is big, I think it would rotate. But I don't know how to analyze this situation as differential equation.


This figure shows the situation it rotate as the $\angle \theta$. But, as the initial time, $\theta$ is $0$ so thus I think its friction would not be exerted at the left-bottom corner. So it will be different with this figure.


If there is no floor, the rotate pivot is just the center of mass I think. But there is a floor. It makes me crazy.


My situation




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...