Saturday 31 January 2015

quantum mechanics - Product of exponential of operators


in the context of non-relativistic quantum mechanics I want to show that, for any $A$ and $B$ operators


$$e^{A}e^{B}=e^{A+B} $$


if and only if


$$[A,B]=0$$


I remember my professor told use about looking for a differential equation but I don't remember the details, and I want to be able to prove it. Brute force the series doesn't seem to be a good idea.


Any hint will be appreciated thanks.



Answer



There is no 'only if' because it is not true: \begin{align} e^{A+B} = e^A e^B \end{align} does not necessarily imply $[A,B] = 0$.



One can easily find an example of this using matrices. Here's one: \begin{align} A= \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 2\pi i \end{pmatrix}, B=\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 2 \pi i \end{pmatrix}. \end{align} $[A,B] \neq 0$ but $e^{A+ B} = e^A e^B = I$.


Edit: Let me help with the if part, using a differential equation as OP desires. Compute \begin{align} \frac{d}{dt}(e^{t(A+B)}e^{-tA}e^{-tB}), \end{align} and show that it is $0$ if $[A,B] = 0$.


That implies that $e^{t(A+B)}e^{-tA}e^{-tB}$ is independent of $t$. In particular, plugging in $t = 0$ gives $e^{t(A+B)}e^{-tA}e^{-tB} = I$ for all $t$. Then plug in $t = 1$ to get $e^{(A+B)}e^{-A}e^{-B} = I$.


QED.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...