Sunday 24 January 2016

Error propagation with asymmetric uncertainties


I red the Wikipedia page on error propagation. I get into some trouble when I want to calculate the error propagation in a specific case. I have real numbers $A$ and $B$ with related upper ($\Delta A_u$, $\Delta B_u$) and lower ($\Delta A_l$, $\Delta B_l$) uncertainties. I have two functions calculated as follows: $$F = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}$$ and $$G = \tan^{-1}\frac{B}{A}$$ What are the related upper and lower errors of $F$ and $G$?


I found general formulae for Gaussian error distributions ($\Delta A_u = \Delta A_l$ and $\Delta B_u = \Delta B_l$), for instance the first formula of the first answer on this other question. Is there a way to generalize that formula for arbitrary distributions with asymmetric errors as in my example?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...