Saturday 2 April 2016

quantum mechanics - What does imaginary number maps to physically?



I am taking undergraduate quantum mechanics currently, and the concept of an imaginary number had always troubled me. I always feel that complex numbers are more of a mathematical convenience, but apparently this is not true, it has occurred in way too many of my classes, Circuits, Control Theory and now Quantum Mechanics, and it seems that I always understand the math, but fail to grasp the concept in terms of its physical mapping. Hence my question, what does imaginary number maps to physically?


Any help would be much appreciated




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...