Saturday 18 June 2016

error analysis - How to estimate the uncertainties in measurement that can be used in the "adding in quadrature" method?


For examples, if I measure length with a meter stick with the smallest unit of 1mm, can I use the uncertainty of 0.5mm in this formula: $$\Delta C = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial C}{\partial x_1}\Delta x_1\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial C}{\partial x_2}\Delta x_2\right)^2 + \hspace{0.3cm}...}$$ The reason I ask is that according to my understanding the uncertainties used in the formula carry with them a probabilistic nature. Assume the measurements are distributed normally, then $\Delta x_1,\Delta x_2,...$ can be thought of as 1 standard deviation from the mean, which gives the range that the true value can fall into 68% of the time. In contrast, the 0.5mm estimated is the maximum error that we can have(true value fall into this range 100% of the time). So how can I fit this uncertainty of 0.5mm into this formula? Assume I use 0.5mm directly into the formula, what will the result ($\Delta C$) mean? I doubt it can be considered to be either the maximum error possible or 1 standard deviation from the mean




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...