Monday 20 June 2016

fluid dynamics - Solving the Young-Laplace equation for arbitrary axisymmetric geometry


Say I have a non-ellipsoidal soap bubble and I want to numerically analyse the pressure in the inner lobe of this bubble here:



The Young Laplace equation gives the pressure difference across a fluid interface as a function of the curvatures. I have a set of points in 2D space (axisymmetry is assumed) for the inner lobe.


How can I obtain the net force that acts over the entire inner lobe surface due to the Young-Laplace pressure gradient? This would be easy if the lobe itself was approximately ellipsoidal - then there are only two principal radii of curvature, and the pressure gradient follows from there.


But what if I had a more complex shape for the inner lobe that wasn't ellipsoidal? Do I try to break the shape into many ellipses, however improbable that sounds?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...