Saturday 18 June 2016

speed of light - Is the second postulate of Einstein's special relativity an axiom?




I'm trying to grasp Einstein's special relativity theory and can't seem to find a clear answer as to why Einstein concluded that the speed of light is constant to observers in different inertial frames.




  1. Sometimes I read it's because of the Michelson-Morley experiment. But that only proves there's no aether/medium for light to travel through.




  2. Sometimes I read that he derived it from Maxwell's equations. I still need to study those, so I can't judge about that.





  3. And sometimes I read that it's just an axiom that we need to accept.




So what's the right answer?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...