Tuesday 16 August 2016

riddle - Before the Ides of March



If I lost a leg I'd be twice the size
When grown up I cause many multiplies
Maybe mistaken for a fifth in Rome
Or for twelve thirteenths in a modern home



What am I?



Answer




You are



$\pi$



If I lost a leg I'd be twice the size



By removing one vertical line from $\pi$ we get $\tau$, which is a standard mathematical notation for $2\pi$; see for example the links http://www.thepimanifesto.com/ and https://xkcd.com/1292/



When grown up I cause many multiplies




$\prod$ is used as symbol for products in mathematical equations.



Maybe mistaken for a fifth in Rome



Aicient Greek (not sure what this has to do with Rome) notation for 5 was something that resembles as PI. . Thanks to Jan Ivan



Or for twelve thirteenths in a modern home



I got nothing here. Still looking for something that matches.




Bonus (Before the Ides of March)



Happy Pi day. March 14. The Ides of March was March 15th in Rome.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...