Thursday 2 April 2020

A mass, bar, point and a spring


I am making a simple little program that needs to simulate a physics concept. However, I am not exactly sure how the physics concept actually works.



I really like diagrams to illustrate my physics questions, so I included one:


My amazingly terrible picture illustrating what my question entails. Please do not judge my terrible art skills.


In the diagram:



  1. $m$ = The mass of interest

  2. Connecting $m$ to $p$ (the red dot, denoted as position) is a non-flexible bar with a swing joint at $p$

  3. The green spiral is meant to represent the spring that coerces the bar (and mass $m$) referenced in statement 2 to come to an equilibrium

  4. The dashed blue lines represent a simple constraint on how far the bar can travel

  5. The arrows around $p$ are a reminder that $p$ can both move on both the $x$ and $y$-axis as well as rotate (these forces come from external entities not shown in the diagram).

  6. I am currently ignoring gravity for now. However it would be nice to know how to apply it.


  7. $p$ is unaffected (both positional and rotational) by the events of $m$ and the bar.


The diagram shows the system in an equilibrium. However, when forces applied to either $m$ or $p$ the spring in the system will attempt to bring $m$ back to an equilibrium.


I am honestly not worried about statement #4 (the constraints). I was going to add in a simple angular constraint to ensure the bar did not exceed the maximum angle of travel. The large component of this question lies in statement #5. I am not sure how to translate mass $m$ given a movement from $p$, let alone rotating $p$.


Ultimately my question comes to: what is the equation(s) I should use to simulate the system? I believe I will have to solve this problem using Kinetic Energy $KE$ / Potential Energy $PE$, correct me if I am wrong. I have a few ideas on the equations to use but not much else:



  1. Kinetic Energy of a mass: $KE_{m} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2$

  2. Potential Energy of a spring: $PE_{spring} = \frac{1}{2}kx^2$

  3. Conservation of Energy: $\sum{KE} + \sum{PE} + W = 0$



But I am confused how I can incorporate those equations with $p$ which does not need a mass. And how to translate the forces to the mass appropriately. (Basically the entire thing)




Based on @Seans suggestion, instead of calculating the equation using conservation of energy, forces are used. So here is what I have so far:


First I removed some of the complexity to get a starting position to work with. I removed the spring completely and attempted to find what would happen to the mass $m$ should an arbitrary velocity $v$ be provided to $p$. The mass $m$ in such scenario (lacking any additional forces). To illustrate my progress I implemented a JsFiddle dump of each step:


-- JS Test 1 --


First I wanted to get something working with the red dot following the mouse and the mass that follows the red dot based on a fixed distance away (the bar). This does not account for much anything else, no momentum/forces/friction. The mass feels like a magnetite on a metal plate as you attempt to push and pull it along with a stick. This was fine for a rough mock-up, now to implement some physics in the second test.


-- In progress --


Second I wanted to illustrate some forces acting upon the mass. For example, you should swing the mass with your mouse. Still working on this one, so hang tight.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...