Thursday 2 June 2016

thermodynamics - Helmholtz free energy from a relation for entropy


The Legendre transformation defines the helmholtz free energy (at least according to my lectures) as:


$F(T,V,N)=E-TS$


It also says to start with


$E(S,V,N)$ and $T=\frac{\partial{E}}{\partial{S}}$


My question is I have a relation for entropy (I won't give it because I want this to be more of a concept based question), in terms of the standard $S(U,N,V)$ where U is the energy, I can re-arrange for energy easily.


Obviously the E and T to put into the equation are pretty standard it quite clearly states to use the function for each but the ENTROPY, do I just write the variable S next to the partial of E wrt S or do I use the relation I have for Entropy?



Answer



I assume that your question is: "How do I compute the helmholtz free energy given the dependence of the entropy on the intensive parameters $S(E,N,V)$?"


In this case you start by inverting $S(E,N,V)$ to get a relation for $E(S,N,V)$. Then you can perform the Legendre transform,



$$ F(T,N,V) = E(S(T,N,V),N,V) - S(T,N,V) \, T \, , $$


where the function $S(T,N,V)$ is defined through the relation


$$ \frac{\partial E}{\partial S}(S,N,V) \equiv T \, . $$


No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...