Thursday 8 September 2016

electricity - Electric arc due to static discharge in a T-Shirt possible?


Yesterday, when I came home, I went to the bathroom (lights off) and i took off my T-Shirt (100% cotton) which I wore under a Shirt (50% cotton, 50% polyester). I believe to have seen a small but well visible light arc.



Question: Is the amount of static discharge in T-Shirt big enough to produce a visible light arc?



Answer



Cotton is above polyester in the triboelectric series.


So it seems likely that the cotton shirt gained positive charge, and the 50% cotton 50% polyester shirt gained negative charge, and arcs formed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Stagnation point in pitot fluid

What is stagnation point in fluid mechanics. At the open end of the pitot tube the velocity of the fluid becomes zero.But that should result...